Roulades are one of the most beautiful cakes around. I remember when I first saw a roulade how-to video by Heather Baird over at Sprinkle Bakes, in her Pink Velvet Roulade post. I thought it was the most beautiful cake I had ever seen. I would just sit and stare at those pictures and watch the video over and over again, trying to memorize all the steps.
I never worked up the courage to actually try it, but well, three years down the road I finally decided to try making a roulade. It was a combination of things: I guess I have more confidence now, there was a can of pumpkin in the pantry and I had friends coming over.
Best. Decision. Ever.
If I had known how easy they are to make, I would have tried making them sooner.
Here is the outstanding video by Heather that will make your life very, very easy.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I just used a pinch of ground cinnamon, a pinch of ground cloves & 1/4 tsp minced ginger)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 inch vanilla bean, scraped OR 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle a clean tea towel with powdered sugar. Set pan and towel aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs, vanilla and sugar until thick. Add in pumpkin and mix to combine. Stir in flour mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.